Rebecca O’Brien’s practice focuses on commercial litigation.
She has extensive experience representing clients in complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts in matters involving contract, civil rights, business torts, trademark and copyright infringement, real estate, financial services, insurance, professional malpractice, probate litigation and creditor representation in bankruptcy.
Rebecca’s clients include publicly traded Fortune 500 companies, privately held companies, banks and credit unions, and individuals. Rebecca has been recognized as a Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation for the past two years and earned the recognition again in 2017.
Professional Affiliations & Bar Activities
- NAMWOLF, 2015-Present
- National Association of Professional Women, 2014-Present
- Tucson Federal Bar Association, President, 2013; Member, Executive Committee, 2009-Present
- American Bar Association, Section on Litigation, 2011-Present
- Ninth Circuit Pro Bono Project; Pro Bono Counsel, 2012-Present
- Morris K. Udall Inn of Court, 2009-2012
- State Bar of Arizona: Section on Trial Practice; Bankruptcy Practice; Appellate Practice, 2003-Present
- Arizona Women Lawyers Association, 2003-Present
- Tucson Defense Bar, 2009-Present
- Pima County Bar Association, 2003-Present
- Judicial Law Clerk, Chief Justice Charles E. Jones, Arizona Supreme Court, 2002-2003
Publications & Speeches
- BUSINESS TORTS: A FIFTY-STATE GUIDE, Author/Editor for Arizona Chapter, 2007-2016.
- Represented minority shareholders in shareholder oppression action involving close corporation. Following bench trial, obtained court ordered buy-out at triple the company’s pre-suit value, as well as two separate six figure judgments for breach of fiduciary duty, conspiracy and aiding and abetting tortious activity.
- Successfully defended multi-million dollar civil RICO case against real estate company.
- Obtained $10 million dollar bad faith judgment against E&O insurer.
- Represent real estate and financial service companies in state and federal court as well as administrative hearings.
- Represent banks, credit unions, individuals and private companies as creditors in Chapter 7, 11 and 13 bankruptcy litigation, including claims litigation, Chapter 11 plan confirmation, lien avoidance actions and non-dischargeability actions.
Honors & Awards
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation 2015-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America© (Commercial Litigation) 2018
- Board Member, Metro YMCA, 2016
- Board Member, Amigos de las Americas, 2013-Present
- Steering Committee, Legal Community Against Hunger, 2005-Present
- Tucson Chamber Orchestra: Flutist, 2004-2009
- Board Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters, 2004-2007