Matthew Bailey is a business attorney whose primary transactional focus is on client service and getting deals done.
Matt’s practical approach to representing clients is grounded in his southern Arizona roots, his experience as in-house and outside legal counsel, and his experience as a business manager and corporate executive.
Matt represents clients across a diverse spectrum of business matters and transactions, including real estate, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and regulatory compliance. He negotiates and drafts complex commercial agreements involving real estate, business purchases and sales, selling equity in companies through private offerings, and buying or selling business assets. Matt regularly advises management and boards of his clients on corporate governance and operational matters and helps them comply with constantly changing regulatory requirements attendant in many transactions or that arise in their day-to-day operations.
- Represented a business seller with its rollover equity and sale of a majority equity interest in the target company, utilizing an F reorganization to facilitate the transaction.
- Served as Arizona counsel to a corporate client employing a “buy-and-build” strategy to acquire assets of the target company.
- Represented the buyer in the phased acquisition of over 1,000 acres of southern Arizona real estate.
- Represented an emerging technology company in a preferred stock financing with a foreign investor that required regulatory review and clearance by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
- Represented the seller in a stock sale of its business, including a loan to the buyer and security interests in the ongoing business.
- Represented an investor-owned utility in the acquisition of a 250-megawatt wind project through a build-transfer agreement structure.
- Represented an investor-owned utility in the acquisition of a 550-megawatt gas-fired power plant.
- UNS Energy Corp.
- Farmers Investment Co.
- Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.
- Moyes Storey Ltd.
Publications & Speeches
- New Resource Procurement: Best Practices, Troutman-Sanders Energy Issues Conference 2019, Chicago, IL.
- ADD Water: Central Arizona’s Next Bucket of Water, 8 Southwest Hydrology 10 (2009).
- Estimated Infiltration, Percolation, and Recharge Rates at the Rillito Creek Focused Recharge Investigation Site, Pima County, Arizona (David A. Stonestrom et al. eds., 2007), U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1703-H.
- Tucson Audubon Society, Board of Directors and Personnel Committee Chair, 2012 – 2018
- Freeport-McMoRan Community Investment Fund, Committee Member, 2012 – 2013
- Green Valley / Sahuarita Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2012
- 99th Arizona Town Hall, Report Co-Chair
- 96th Arizona Town Hall, Report Committee