Shayna Fernandez Watts is an experienced litigator. She focuses her practice on commercial litigation, and labor and employment law.
Shayna Fernandez Watts manages all aspects of litigation, including dispositive motions, discovery, and court appearances, from the initial filing of a complaint through resolution. Her practice includes both Arizona state and federal litigation.
Shayna has defended against and represented plaintiffs in claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, fraud, breach of contract, bad faith, quiet title and negligence, and handled claims brought under the FDCPA and FCRA. She also advises clients on social media concerns, drone law, and employment policies.
Shayna is a graduate of the Arizona Bar Leadership Institute. In law school, Shayna served as the president of the Law Women’s Association, and she was an oralist on the International Moot Court Team. She clerked for Judge Sarah Simmons in Tucson, Arizona, as part of a judicial externship program, and was an intern with the civil division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington, D.C.
Professional Affiliations & Civic Activities
- Los Abogados, Board of Directors (2017, 2018)
- MCBA Employment Law Section Board of Directors (2017, 2018)
- Arizona Science Center Board of Trustees (2017, 2018)
- “Commercial Drones: Certification, Airworthiness, Safety,” Arizona Attorney Magazine, December 2017.
- “A Practical Guide for Commercial Drone Use,” BOMA Magazine, January/February 2017.
- “Comply by July! – Earned Paid Sick Leave Pursuant to Proposition 206,” February 28, 2017
- “The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): What Employers Need to Know,” November 14, 2016
- “Social Media: Risks and How to Avoid Them,” Phoenix Labor & Employment Seminar Series, October 18, 2011
- “Creating a Social Media Policy as a Communications Executive,” ExecSense Webinars, June 9, 2010
- “What General Counsel Need to Know About Creating a Social Media Policy,” ExecSense Webinars, April 19, 2010
Honors & Awards
- The Hispanic National Bar Association’s (HNBA) 2019 “Top Lawyers Under 40” Award
- Bar Leadership Institute, State Bar of Arizona, 2017-2018 Class
- Southwest Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2012-2020
Prior to practicing law, Shayna was an award-winning teacher at D.M. Sauceda Middle School, in Donna, Texas, where she served as a student council sponsor and the department head.